Welcome to our website !

curves for days

all good journeys have curves for days.

no title

By 6:33 PM

I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm entering into my third real week of classes at Silberman. So far adjusting to grad life has been difficult, because when they tell you it's a lot of reading? They actually aren't lying to you. All throughout high school and college, I'm both ashamed and proud to admit that I rarely had to read thoroughly to do well. I always studied the three days before an exam and came out relatively almost always where I wanted to be. Sure, it was stressful if I didn't plan a bit ahead, but I was always less stressed out than everyone around me. Now it seems I am the opposite, struggling to get readings done, assignments submitted on time, and remember which dates are for which class.

To add to my common struggle, a thirty minute conversation with my field adviser completely derailed me. I learned that (a) I was also grossly misinformed about how many hours of field placement I'm supposed to do each week; (b) I cannot qualify for food stamps in Brooklyn because I haven't lived here long enough; (c) I am one of the only students I know that actually has to work during grad school and field; and (d) my time management would be fully put to the test over the next two years.

My schedule is looking as follows. Keep in mind an hour commute to work and/or to school, a half hour commute in between them, and closer to 30-40 minutes to and from the field placement. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I'll have Field Placement between 10:00am and 6:00pm, as well as studying and working on assignments afterwards. Tuesday I'll have work 8:30am-3:00pm and then scurry my way over to school for class 4:00p-7:50pm. Thursday I'll have class 9:00am-12:00pm and again 2:00pm-4:00pm. The weekends I'll work 10:30am to 6:30pm, providing they put me on for the full time. That reduces my work hours by at least fifteen to twenty hours a week, so my paycheck is looking to die paying $720+ a month for rent, Metros -- not even talking about food or other expenses. I would also like to note that I serve in three non-paid roles: President of APO Alumni Association, Programming Director of Sisters By Grace, and I work on the Dove Love SAO National Newspaper. I'm also trying to help charter other NY chapters for the sorority, while coaching 10-15 women in fitness, trying to stay on top of my own, and get all of my assignments done and done well.

I'm stressed and wondering how I can manage to get my work done, live, and be productive in all of my environments. We'll see. God first.

You Might Also Like

0 comments